Since the Bible was written, all attempts to suppress or exterminate it have failed. Such efforts include imperial edicts and ecclesiastical restraints. Futile attempts have also been made to rob the Bible of its divine authority. In spite of these efforts, the Bible remains a book read by millions of Christians world-wide. It has also been translated into hundreds of languages. Efforts to destroy it have resulted in its increased circulation.
Scriptural examples1 of the Argument from the Indestructibility of the Bible
- “The grass withers, the flowers fades, but the word of our God stands forever.” Isaiah 40:8.
- “I have sworn by Myself; the word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness and shall not return, that to Me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall take an oath.” Isaiah 45:23.
- “So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.” Isaiah 55:11.
- “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.” Matthew 24:35.
- “who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high” Hebrews 1:3.
- “For the word of God is living and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit and of joints and marrow and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12.
- “having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever.” 1 Peter 1:23.
- “For this they willfully forget: that by the word of God the heavens were of old and the earth standing out of water and in the water, by which the world that then existed perished being flooded with water.” 2 Peter 3:5,6.
- “For there are three that bear record in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one.” 1 John 5:7.
- “Now I saw heaven opened and behold a white horse. And He who sat on him…He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God…And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse…” Revelation 19:11a,13,21a.