The Second Coming of Jesus Christ is His return to earth as foretold in Acts 1:11. This is a personal and visible coming. Jesus will come with clouds and every eye shall see Him. (Revelation 1:7) His feet shall touch the Mount of Olives and the mount will split in two. (Zechariah 14:4) (This is the same mount from which He ascended into Heaven. Acts 1:12)
The purpose of the Jesus' Second Coming is to establish His millennial reign1 on earth. (Acts 2:36; 3:21; Hebrews 1:13) During His millennial reign, the following will occur:
- The nations will be judged.
- The Jews will be restored to their land.
- The antichrist and the enemies of the Lord will be destroyed.
No man knows the day or hour of Jesus' Coming. (Matthew 24:36) The saints should not be concerned about the times and seasons that the Father has put in His power. (Acts 1:6-8) They should be concerned about doing the will of the Lord while on earth. (Luke 12:35-36,40)
The topic of the Second Coming of Jesus Christ is important because it is prominent in the Scriptures.
- The Old Testament prophets prophesied it. (Zechariah 14:4; Joel 3:12)
- Angels who were present after Jesus ascended testified of it. (Acts 1:11)
- The epistle, 2 Thessalonians is devoted to this subject.
- The following Bible chapters are devoted to this subject: Matthew 24; Mark 13; Luke 21.
- 318 references are made to Jesus' Second Coming.2